NPR reported this morning that many states have been reporting scam COVID-19 Contract Tracing calls attempting to gather personal information.
Here are some tips to know if you receive a call and are unsure if it is a legitimate tracer:
• Contact tracers won’t ask you for money.
• Contact tracing does not require your bank account or credit card number.
• Legitimate contact tracers will never ask for your Social Security Number.
• Your immigration status does not matter for contact tracing, so real tracers won’t ask.
• Do not click on a link in a text or email.