Identity theft has been increasing in recent years in the United States, and it is important that consumers know how to protect themselves from being victims of identity thieves. The IRS offers the following suggestions on ways in which you can minimize becoming a victim:
- Don’t carry your Social Security card or a document with your Social Security number written on it.
- Check your credit report history at least every 12 months.
- Establish a secure space for personal documents in you home, such as a fireproof safe.
- Protect information connections on your computer by using firewalls, anti-virus software, and regularly changing passwords for Internet accounts.
- Don’t give out any personal information over the phone, mail, or internet unless you have initiated the contact and know who you are communicating with.
Davis & Hodgdon Associates has been assisting individuals and businesses in the Burlington Vermont Metro area for more than 20 years. The firm provides tax planning for individuals, corporations, trusts and estates that are seeking effective strategies to keep more of what they’ve earned. We also prepare all types of tax returns, including individuals, businesses, gifts and estates, trusts, nonprofits and foundations.For more information please call 802.878.1963 or email [email protected].
Jessica Taylor, Associate Accountant
Davis & Hodgdon Associates CPAs